The Post Cottage circa 1917

 

The Post Cottage was designed by the eminent architect E.G.W. Dietrich in the early part of the 20th century.  The original owners sold the house to local auto and oil entrepreneur Henry Post and his wife Julia Clark Post. The Posts retained the house for 65 years, and it is in their name that the house continues to be identified by local residents.

The Post Cottage circa 1917

The Architecture

The Post Cottage is built in the Shingle style which is characterized by the use of cedar shingles, a large dominant roof, and an assymetrical facade and interior. The photo below was featured in two architectural magazines in 1917, "Architecture and Building" and "Moderne Bauformen". A notable interior feature is the grand central staircase, which leads to a landing, then ascends from both sides to the second floor.  

Historic Details

Interior items original to the house include a Red Comet Fire Grenade (also seen at Hyde Park the home of FDR), Deagan dinner chimes (as used on steamships and railroad dining cars), and Edison Mazda light fixtures.

Original Keys To The Post Cottage

The Post Cottage circa 1986

The Floorplan

The house is notable for having a spacious and open floor plan, allowing Catskill bed and breakfast guests to gather in groups, play pool, sit by the fire, or to sit to the side to read. There is ample space for meetings and groups.

GALLERY